STATE OF FLORIDA
COUNTY OF BROWARD
BEFORE ME the undersigned authority personally appeared Dr.Richard Neubauer, who being first duly sworn, deposes and says:
1. My name is Richard Neubauer, I am over the age of 18 years, and I make this statement on personal information.
2. I graduated from the University of Virginia Medical School in 1947 and first began practicing medicine in as Director of Medical Research at Memorial Hospital in Wilmington, Delaware in 1951. Starting in 1954, I began practice in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and have practiced as an internist in Florida since 1962. I have been practicing hyperbaric medicine since 1972, and I have published many journal articles and presented papers on this subject in the intervening years. A copy of my published bibliography and curriculum vitae are attached.
3. I have studied a videotape, dated January of 2000, of Theresa Marie Schiavo. It is obvious to me that Ms Schiavo is a viable human being who is at least semi-responsive to her environment. It is my medical opinion that she is not brain dead nor is she in a persistent vegetative state.
4. I have treated patients who were in conditions similar to Ms Schiavo’s and who improved with hyberbaric oxygen therapy, to the point of becoming ambulatory, for example. While it is not possible to say how or in what manner Ms Schiavo’s condition will improve, it is my opinion, based on my many years of experience with and knowledge of hyperbaric therapy, that she will improve if given proper therapy.
5. It is my further opinion that Ms Schiavo’s present condition be investigated immediately by means of a simple test of functional brain imaging. If this test shows recoverable brain function, it is a mandatory obligation from a medical standpoint that Ms Schiavo receive the proper therapy. In my opinion, to forego treatment of this patient and deny her nutrition and hydration amounts to murder.
FURTHER AFFIANT SAYETH NAUGHT.
Richard Neubauer, M.D.
The foregoing instrument was acknowledged before me this ____ day of May, 2001, by Dr. Richard Neubauer, who produced a Florida driver’s license as identification OR who is personally known to me, and who did / did not take an oath.
My commission expires: