The Foster File

The Death of Vince Foster - What Really Happened? (1995)


Unsolved Mystery Hampers All Starr's Probes

By Carl Limbacher

Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 10:48:22 -0500
From: Washington Weekly

OYSTER BAY -- Five summers ago this week the body of Vincent
Walker Foster, Jr. was discovered by an antique cannon in an out
of the way Virginia park. Two independent counsels, two
congressional probes and one federal police investigation have
determined he died by his own hand. Still, in national polls
taken in 1995 and 1997, the American people by overwhelming
margins say they do not believe Foster died as officials say.
Yet even with this popular mandate, no investigator was willing
to act on serious evidence of a White House cover-up of Foster's

Meanwhile Ken Starr, the last official to sign off on the suicide
verdict, nears the fourth anniversary of his own appointment as
chief investigator of the Clinton crime wave in hot pursuit of
presidential perjury and obstruction in the Monica Lewinsky case.
In fact, if Paula Jones' civil suit hadn't criminalized Monica-
gate, Ken Starr would presumably be left with nothing on his

How is it that Starr's four year investigation has been reduced
to probing allegations made on tape by a ditzy 24-year-old White
House intern, while his probes of Whitewater, Travelgate and
Filegate have come up empty? It's really no mystery. For once
Ken Starr decided to go south on Fostergate, he closed the door
on each of these other investigations.

The Clinton connection in Travelgate was largely Hillary's. It
was she, as multiple memos by junior and senior White House aides
make clear, who was the driving force behind the firing of Billy
Dale and his colleagues in the White House Travel Office. One of
those memos, by White House personnel director (and longtime
F.O.B.) David Watkins, clearly describes the pressure brought to
bear by Mrs. Clinton to "get our people in those slots." It was
Watkins and Foster who struggled to implement Hillary's orders,
knowing that if they did not there would be, in Watkins' words,
"hell to pay." They also no doubt knew that the charge that
Billy Dale had embezzled Travel Office money for his personal use
was ridiculous. But Mrs. Clinton, persuaded by Harry Thomason
that Dale & co. needed to go, was unrelenting.

It was Foster who felt the pressure most. Mainstream media
accounts of Travelgate avoided well-sourced allegations that
Foster and the first lady had been romantically involved. But as
Peter Boyer noted in The New Yorker two years ago, Hillary, once
installed in the White House, adopted an imperial attitude
towards her new deputy White House counsel. Even the jailed Webb
Hubbell, who was prepared to "roll over one more time" to protect
Mrs. Clinton, noted the change in tone. "Fix it, Vince," Hillary
would bark at Foster, according to Hubbell's own memoir.

And so any truthful accounting of Travelgate, including Mrs.
Clinton perjured denial of her role in the firings, would be
impossible without revealing her treatment of Foster. Indeed,
most of Foster's so-called suicide note reads like an apologia
for Travelgate, including the prescient line: "The public will
never believe the innocence of the Clintons and their loyal
staff." Foster anticipated that a thorough Travelgate
investigation would expose Hillary's treachery. And Starr knows
that any Travelgate prosecution of Hillary Clinton would reveal
that pressure from the first lady deepened the depression that
Starr says caused Foster to take his own life. It was, as Foster
himself once said of Whitewater, "a can of worms we should not

Starr's Whitewater probe has suffered the same fate. Few
remember now that it was Foster's death in July 1993, rather than
Jeff Gerth's trailblazing March 1992 Whitewater expose in the New
York Times, that lit the independent counsel fuse. Indeed,
throughout the '92 presidential campaign Whitewater never became
an issue. But less than a month after the Washington Times Dec.
'93 revelation that Whitewater documents had been removed from
Foster's office the night he died, Janet Reno was compelled to
make the appointment. And even before that bombshell (8/12/93,
less than a month after Foster's death) The New York Times had
editorialized about issues raised by Foster's suicide note,
saying: "Ideally, an independent counsel wholly free from
executive branch control needs to be appointed." The Times also
called for the removal of Bernard Nussbaum, the Clinton counsel
who mysteriously discovered that note after a second search of
Foster's briefcase.

By the time the Foster case had reached Ken Starr in August of
'94, his death had been ruled a straightforward suicide by the
Park Police, Robert Fiske and the Senate Whitewater Committee.
Yet just days after he replaced Fiske, Starr promised to make his
own "independent evaluation" as to how Foster died. The
following January, Starr began calling Foster death witnesses to
his Washington grand jury. But two months later, Starr's lead
Foster prosecutor, Miquel Rodriquez, resigned. Reportedly
Rodriquez felt Democrat higher-ups in Starr's Washington office
were impeding his efforts to get at the truth.

Ken Starr was faced with a crucial decision. Rodriquez'
departure should have caused a major shake-up inside the
investigation. But the press pretended not to notice what had
happened. And instead of putting his Washington investigation
right, Starr turned his attention to ancient and remote crimes in
Little Rock. Starr dawdled another two-plus years before
officially acknowledging that his Foster death investigation had
come up empty.

Absent Vince Foster, Whitewater withered on the vine. Yes, there
were convictions of the Clintons' Whitewater business partners,
the McDougals. Clinton's successor, Gov. Tucker, was found
guilty as well. But there was abundant evidence that the
president had perjured himself about the same fraudulent loan
that had put Susan McDougal behind bars. And Mrs. Clinton had
confessed to the RTC that she had shredded Castle Grande
documents one jump ahead of the sheriff. Nevertheless, Starr
finally closed his Little Rock grand jury in May of this year
without even presenting an indictment of either Clinton for the
grand jurors to rule on. Undoubtedly the independent counsel
believed 10 year old crimes in Arkansas were too long ago and too
far away to warrant toppling a sitting president.

Meanwhile in Washington, stunning new evidence had emerged in the
Foster case that could have been politically lethal - had the
scent been followed. Three independent handwriting experts
determined that Foster's suicide note, which was discovered sans
fingerprints, was a forgery. A last gasp exhaustive search of
the park where Foster's body was found failed to turn up the
missing bullet -- the only forensic evidence that would have
linked his death to the scene. A previously unknown White House
meeting featuring several major Foster case witnesses was
revealed to have taken place at a key point during Robert Fiske's
Foster probe. But the gathering of Bill Clinton, Webb Hubbell,
Michael Cardozo, Marsha Scott, Shelia Foster-Anthony and Foster's
widow Lisa apparently prompted little investigative interest,
even though the meeting took place on May 7, 1994. (Arkansas
Democrat-Gazette, Washington Post - 5/3/97) Just two days later
the widow Foster was scheduled to be questioned for the first
time by Fiske. In fact, all the participants had spent time with
Foster during his final days. And all were key to floating the
depression alibi, except Lisa - who hadn't yet remembered how
sick her husband had been. The press brushed off this "getting
our stories straight" session as an innocent reunion of old
Arkansas friends, even though Cardozo wasn't from Arkansas.

Starr is said to be investigating the removal of documents from
Foster's office still. But his Whitewater grand jury in
Washington disbanded last year without results. Even Al
D'Amato's Foster-phobic Senate Whitewater Committee issued
criminal referrals for Susan Thomases, Webster Hubbell and Harold
Ickes in 1996. Thomases and Hubbell had feigned extensive
memory lapses when questioned on Foster. Ickes is said to have
managed White House Foster damage control. None was charged by
Starr's Washington grand jury.

Without Vince Foster, Whitewater just didn't have a plotline.
And by failing to act on potential crimes related to the conduct
of those who helped cover up the circumstances of his death,
Starr's Whitewater case is nothing more than weak tea. Moreover,
Starr's own Foster-phobia may be exactly why Filegater Craig
Livingstone remains a free man today.

Who can forget the initial devastating impact of news that the
White House security chief had collected over 900 confidential
FBI files on Bill Clinton's political opponents. The story even
had former CBS newsman Daniel Shorr, pride of the Nixon enemies
list, opining against Livingstone's transgression from the op-ed
pages of the New York Times. Bill Clinger's Travelgate Committee
immediately turned their sights on the breathtaking new scandal.
Even notorious committee stonewaller Tom "Waldheim" Lantos
couldn't help suggesting that Livingstone should walk the plank,
telling the witness in his most ominous Transylvanian accent
that: "At least Admiral Boorda had the decency to commit
suicide." Livingstone's goose, it seemed, was cooked for sure.

But that was then, this is now. Turns out, it's a good thing
Livingstone didn't take Lantos' advice, since the last two years
don't seem to have been particularly unkind to Filegate's fall
guy. At last word Livingstone was doing just fine, thank you --
working for a Clinton contributor out in the Golden State. His
super-expensive lawyer, Randall Turk, informed the Boston Globe
months ago that Starr's office is no longer interested in his
client. It looks like Livingstone has beat the rap.

How can this be? If ever there was someone ripe for indictment
for a whole host of crimes, including violation of the Privacy
Act of 1974, it would seem to be Craig Livingstone. Could it be
that Livingstone's deep involvement in the Foster case is exactly
what's keeping him out of the jug?

It was Livingstone, recall, who was dispatched to the morgue
along with Associate White House Counsel Bill Kennedy to I.D.
Foster's body. Unresolved questions about the discovery of
Foster's car keys, which couldn't be found at the death scene,
still linger. Circumstantial evidence suggests that Livingstone
may have planted them in one of Foster's pants pockets during the
morgue visit. The keys were retrieved later by Park Police who
had already searched Foster's pockets at the scene.

Livingstone had also been spotted at the White House the next
morning by Secret Service agent Bruce Abbott, who claims he saw
the security chief and an unidentified partner removing a box of
files and a briefcase from an area near Foster's office.
Livingstone denied this, but later made inquiries as to the
identity of the agent who spilled the beans.

If the truth about Foster's death differs from the conclusion
reached by Starr in any substantial way, Craig Livingstone is in
a position to expose it. Already under vicious assault from the
left, Starr needs his supporters on the right just to survive.
Would they still rally 'round if a key Clinton witness came
forward claiming that Starr went into the tank on the Foster
case? It's perhaps because Livingstone has this kind of
leverage over the man who once appeared certain to indict him,
that no such indictment is anywhere in sight.

Strange as it seems, the strange death of Vincent Foster
entangles each area of Starr's probe -- and has apparently
hamstrung his investigation in ways that reduce it to
irrelevance. Five years later, Ken Starr can thank his lucky
stars that Monica Lewinsky likely knows nothing about the way
Vince Foster died.

Published in the July 20, 1998 issue of The Washington Weekly
Copyright 1998 The Washington Weekly ( )
Reposting permitted with this message intact

Forward via:

American Patriot Friends Network
Without Justice, there is JUST_US!




Foster death report sees professional 'hit'
Court unseals 511-page document charging obstruction of justice

By Sarah Foster

A three-judge federal panel yesterday unsealed a 511-page report, submitted by Kenneth Starr grand jury witness Patrick Knowlton in June, which -- in the view of its authors -- presents incontrovertible evidence of conspiracy and cover-up by the Justice Department and the Office of the Independent Counsel in connection with their investigations into Vincent Foster's death and counters the official conclusion that the top White House official "committed suicide by gunshot in Fort Marcy Park on July 20, 1993."

At the same time, the panel -- headed by David B. Sentelle, with Richard D. Cudahy and Peter T. Fay -- denied Knowlton's request that this report be attached as an amendment to the Interim Report (the "Starr Report") on the investigation of Foster's death, which was released Oct. 10, 1997. There has been no final report.

The just-released document is certain to fuel the ongoing controversy surrounding the administration's scenario of Foster's death. It is a point-by-point analysis and refutation of the 114-page, double-spaced, Starr Report, overpowering it in both size and substance.

Knowlton's report is, in fact, an expansion of an earlier 20-page filing, also by Knowlton -- comprised of a nine-page letter and 11 pages of exhibits -- which had been accepted by the same panel as an attachment to the Starr Report.

Knowlton filed that report in September 1997, a month before Starr's Report was released. The statute authorizing creation of the Office of Independent Counsel allows persons "named in the report" to request permission to attach comments to reports. Over strenuous objections by the independent counsel, the Special Division of the U.S. Court of Appeals -- the same panel of judges which authored yesterday's ruling -- granted that permission and ordered the Office of the Independent Counsel (OIC) to include Knowlton's 20 pages in the appendix to the Starr Report.

John Clarke, Knowlton's attorney -- who has worked tirelessly on the case -- discussed the significance of today's ruling and the report with WorldNetDaily, portions of which were provided by fax.

"The report has been under seal," he said. "That means it had to be kept secret until a decision was made by the court. Even the fact that we filed it was kept secret.

"We asked them (the court) for a couple of things," Clarke continued. "We asked them to lift the seal as soon as they made their decision, which they did. And we also asked them to substitute it (the report) for our 20-page filing. They didn't do that; they did not order it attached to Ken Starr's report."

But not because they rejected the evidence, Clarke is quick to note.

"What they said was they didn't have jurisdiction to grant relief," he explained. "They didn't rule against us on the merits of what we were asking; they just said that they didn't have jurisdiction under the law to give this relief."

Knowlton charges Starr's investigation simply added "another layer to the 6-year-old ongoing Justice Department cover-up" -- a cover-up that began the night of the death and continued through subsequent investigations including an initial 16-day examination by the FBI and two probes by the two independent counsels -- a reference not only to Starr's work, but to that of Special Counsel Robert Fiske, whose report was issued June 30, 1994.

Knowlton's two reports are built on charges developed in a civil suit he filed Oct. 25, 1996, charging FBI agents, U.S. Park Police employees and others with obstruction of justice, witness intimidation, and personal harassment. An amended complaint was filed last October adding defendants and additional information.

The civil rights suit was dismissed Sept. 9. Today Knowlton was expected to file a motion to reconsider that ruling while he prepares to appeal the ruling of John Garrett Penn to the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia.

"We're attempting -- in both these actions -- to prove that there was a cover-up surrounding events in the death of Vince Foster, and, I think, we've pretty clearly done that," Knowlton's attorney John Clarke told WorldNetDaily. "It's a cover-up from one end to another."

"The current report is more complete than the earlier one," said Clarke.

"The other had five points demonstrating a cover-up, but this really nails it down. The Starr Report makes about 80 points, and not a single one stands up to scrutiny. Not one.

"In this report we've proved there was a crime -- though we're nowhere near the point where we can say who did it or why," he said.

In Clarke's opinion: "I think the evidence is consistent with a professional hit."

Foster's body was found July 20, 1993, at 5:50 p.m. near the northwest corner of Fort Marcy Park, Va., 700 feet from the parking lot. He was lying on his back on one of the three earthwork berms that comprise the fort. There was no evidence of a struggle. The official cause of death -- touted from the outset as a suicide -- was declared due to a gunshot fired into the mouth, the weapon, said to be a black 1913 Army Colt .38 Special six-shot revolver, was said to have been found in Foster's hand. This, despite insistence by the civilian witness who discovered the body that Foster's arms were at his side, palms up -- and not a gun in sight. The bullet allegedly went through the soft palate and exited near the top of the back of his head. Depression was the reason cited for the supposed suicide, though most of his friends said Foster gave no indication of being depressed and were shocked when they heard the news.

The White House account from the outset was met with a barrage of criticism from some very vocal, outspoken critics -- among them Western Journalism Center, the parent organization of WorldNetDaily.

Another is witness Patrick Knowlton, 44, who had stopped briefly at Fort Marcy an hour and a half before the body was discovered. He insists Foster's silver-gray 1989 Honda was not in the parking lot at 4:30 p.m. when he arrived, though Foster had presumably driven it there, parked, then walked 700 feet to the earthworks of the fort where he took his own life. Knowlton did, however, see a mid-1980s model, rust-brown Honda with Arkansas plates and a blue late-model sedan.

Knowlton later reported that no one was in the Honda, but the driver of the sedan stood by that car watching him "menacingly" as he walked into the woods seeking a secluded place where he could relieve himself, and he was still there when Knowlton returned a few minutes later.

Knowlton notified the U.S. Park Service as to what he had seen in the parking lot as soon as word of Foster's death was made public on July 21, but was not contacted for a statement until the following spring. FBI agents interviewed him in April and May 1994 prior to the release of the Fiske Report, but falsified his account of what he saw. Despite Knowlton's insistence that the car he saw was a 1983-84 rust-brown Honda, the agents in their report wrote that he had seen Foster's 1989 Honda.

It was clearly important to establish that Foster's car was in the parking lot at 4:30 p.m. since the medical examiner and others later set the approximate time of death between 2:00 and 4:20 p.m. The question is -- if Foster's car was not at the park at 4:30 p.m., as Knowlton insists, where was it? And if Foster did not drive to the park, how did he or his body get there?

Those are just two of the glaring inconsistencies in the official account, which are examined by the authors of the report: Knowlton himself, a master-carpenter who has since become a certified private investigator; attorney John Clarke, who wrote the report; and Washington entertainer Hugh Turley. Turley -- a magician, skilled in the art of sleight-of-hand -- was intrigued by the behind-the-scenes machinations of those engaged in the cover-up, the "smoke-and-mirrors, now you see it, now you don't" aspects of the case.

"He could recognize diversionary tactics and would point out where they (the OIC investigators and FBI) were playing hide-the-ball in their operations and reports," Clarke said.

In addition to the 511 pages of the analysis itself, the Knowlton Report has an additional 600 pages of 184 exhibits, all but five of which were generated by the government itself.

"We have worked strictly from what is in the public record," said Clarke, referring to the materials the Knowlton team had at its disposal. These include testimony, depositions, reports of various kinds, FBI interview reports, photos, laboratory reports, investigators' memos and handwritten notes. The team also drew on accounts by witnesses contacted in 1994 in preparation of the Fiske Report but who were never subpoenaed to appear before the Starr grand jury.

"We set this out as a trial, showing people the evidence, asking them to look at it," said Clarke. "We know people have theories about what happened, but we aren't trying to prove any of that -- only that there was a cover-up. We show where the FBI and others falsified reports, we show how and where there were omissions, but we've stayed away from exploring any of our own theories as to who the killer was or who might have ordered the hit."

"Unless we had hard evidence -- either a deposition, testimony or a report -- we didn't use it," said Clarke.

Acquiring that evidence wasn't easy, in part because much of it is off limits. The OIC built its case to an astonishing degree on documents not yet released to the public, thereby hamstringing verification of its findings by independent investigators.

"In its footnotes the Starr Report refers readers to documents that purport to prove the conclusions it makes," Knowlton's Report declares. "Of these 353 footnotes, 265, or 75 percent of them, refer the reader to documents that are unavailable."

In their evaluation of the Starr Report, the three researchers focused on its inconsistencies and contradictions.

"People say, 'Well, even if this-or-that point (in the Report) is wrong the greater weight of evidence shows he (Vince Foster) committed suicide at Fort Marcy Park,'" said Clarke. "They're looking at the evidence the right way, but they're not looking at all of the evidence. They're taking on faith what Starr has to say, and they figure you have to expect one or two anomalies. They're right. You could expect a few -- but not every point should be an anomaly.

"Yet every point the Starr Report makes is, in fact, an anomaly, with inadequate explanations and downright lies. From one end to another there's nothing in there that's true," he said.

"We don't know where Foster was killed or when," he continued. "It could have been at the White House compound and his body was brought to the park along the back road; or he could have been driven to the park while he was still alive. We simply don't know. However, we do know that there is no record of his driving his car from the White House -- only that his body shows up five hours after he was seen alive by a Secret Service man at 1 o'clock."

To Clarke it's "obvious" what happened -- even though he doesn't know where or when. Foster died from a gunshot wound to the right side of the neck, near the jawline, between the ear and the chin -- with the trajectory of the bullet going upwards through the tongue and into the brain. It struck the skull about three inches below the top of the skull, fracturing it, but not exiting. Blood drained from the entrance wound onto his neck and right shoulder and also accumulated in his mouth. The gun used was a .22 or other low-caliber "which would account for the small amount of blood reported by the paramedics and Park Police officers who were among the first at the scene," Clarke explained.

Since Fort Marcy is a national park, law enforcement within its boundaries is the responsibility of the U.S. Park Police, a federal agency.

"Over 20 people (Park Police and paramedics) saw the body at the park and nobody reported a large exit wound at the back of the head," Clarke said emphatically. "Plus, the bullet was never found."

Continuing on this theme, Clarke observed there is some testimony indicating the bullet may have exited the back of Foster's neck and did not remain in the skull, even though it was not found at the park. "But that's not the point," he said. "The point is there was a bullet entry neck wound and everyone from the Park Police to Kenneth Starr has tried to cover that up."

Asked what he considered the most significant findings in the report, Clarke drew attention to the section about the gunshot residue on Foster's hands, which the OIC maintains is proof that he fired the gun. The Knowlton Report offers an interpretation its authors believe is more in keeping with the facts.

"Foster couldn't have fired the weapon with the gunshot residue the way it was left on his hands," Clarke said. "The residue was caused by Foster holding his hands consistent with a defensive posture." That is, "His hands were spread open; he wasn't touching the gun, though he seems to have been pushing the barrel away when the gunman pulled the trigger."

From page 250 of the Knowlton Report: "Mr. Foster held his hands with the palms facing the revolver's cylinder -- consistent with his hands being in a defensive posture."
To clarify this interpretation, the Report includes an illustration showing the likely position of Foster's hands.

Clarke also characterized as "significant" the fact that the manufacturer (Remington) of the bullets that were found in the official death weapon has never used what is called ball smokeless powder.

"Ball smokeless powder is what was found on Vince Foster's body and clothing,' said Clarke. "We think that's significant because it's used for reloads. But professional hit men also use it to get particular firing characteristics out of a gun. That would be consistent with there being no exit wound. They'd put a light powder charge in the gun so that it wouldn't blow the back of his head off as it would, had it been stock ammunition. That's why I think it was a professional hit."

A third major finding, in Clarke's opinion, was the role played at the Fort Marcy Park crime scene by Sgt. Robert Edwards -- a role the FBI and later the OIC tried to conceal. By carefully going over the statements of the "firefighters" (emergency medical technicians), paramedics and Park Police officers, the Knowlton team was able to compile a minute-by-minute timetable of who arrived when, where they went, what they did, who and what they saw, and so on.

Comparing the timetable with the witness accounts of the state of the body, "We found out that the body had been tampered with at Fort Marcy Park and by whom," said Clarke. "It was Sgt. Edwards. We have flat-out proved that."

Edwards has long been recognized by Foster-death skeptics as a mystery man. He was with the Glen Echo Station of the U.S. Park Police, but was not the shift commander that evening nor was he one of the detectives on the case.

"I still don't know who he is," said Clarke. "(Investigator John) Rolla testified he had never seen him before and nobody knew who he was -- but I don't know if he (Rolla) was right on this because there was never any follow-up on the depositions.

"But he (Edwards) was definitely assigned to the Glen Echo station, because I called there and learned he had been transferred to Georgia."

Specifically, Edwards was transferred to the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center at Glynco, Ga., to serve as an instructor, according to a statement obtained by WorldNetDaily though a Freedom of Information Act request in 1997.

Despite his somewhat ambiguous position at the Glen Echo station, at 6:28 p.m. Edwards arrived and took charge of the investigation -- only to disappear 20 minutes later as quietly as he had arrived. For over 15 minutes he was alone with Foster's body.

It was not his earliest involvement in the case. According to Clarke, it was Edwards who granted Park Police Officer Kevin Fornshill permission to respond to the scene, even though Fornshill was on duty guarding the CIA headquarters which is not far away. Fornshill reportedly had heard the report on the police radio at 6:05 p.m. of a dead body at the park and asked leave to attend.

With permission from Edwards, Fornshill left his assigned post and arrived at Fort Marcy either by unmarked car or scooter (accounts vary), possibly before the Fairfax County emergency response team four minutes later. Fornshill told firefighter Todd Hall and paramedic George Gonzalez, who were among the first arrivals, to go in one direction to look for the body, while he went in another and discovered it before anyone else.

Here is a synopsis of the following 45 minutes:

Upon finding the body, Fornshill called Hall and Gonzalez over to its location and radioed word that it was an apparent suicide. Hall noticed a gun in Foster's hand -- something the civilian who discovered the body, in later interviews by the FBI, adamantly denied was there.

Clarke recreated the scene for WorldNetDaily: "Fornshill all of a sudden appears with these two firefighters, he just appears out of somewhere in the park proper -- not in the parking lot as some people reported -- he appears in the park, directs the two paramedics to go one way, he goes the other way and finds the body.

"Then he calls the two paramedics over; they come over; through the trees Hall sees people running away from the body site; and Fornshill who was at the body for over 10 minutes, sometimes alone, claims never to have seen the weapon -- and he radioed it (the death) an apparent suicide."

At 6:17 Officer Franz Ferstl -- the patrol officer on the beat -- arrived and at 6:24 began taping off the scene. Fornshill's supervisor, Sgt. Edwards, radioed he had arrived, and Fornshill began walking to the parking lot.

Between 6:24 and 6:29 Ferstl taped off the scene and took seven Polaroid pictures. Several paramedics and firefighters arrived; they saw dry blood on the right side of Foster's shirt. Paramedic Richard Arthur saw a small caliber bullet wound in the right side of the neck, just under the jaw line. He also noticed a large caliber semi-automatic pistol in Foster's hand and concluded it didn't match the smaller caliber bullet hole in the neck.

At 6:25 Richard Arthur and his team returned to the parking lot. Fornshill, too, had left the body site and met Sgt. Edwards as he was approaching it. Edwards told Fornshill to return to his post at the CIA.

At 6:26 Edwards arrived at the site while Ferstl was taking pictures. He asked Ferstl to hand over the seven Polaroids and ordered him to return to the parking lot. The photos were not inventoried and Edwards never turned them in as evidence.

From 6:27 until 6:43, Edwards was alone with the body. How did he spend that time?

According to the Report, "Sometime during the over 15 minutes Sergeant Edwards was alone with the body, an untraceable .38 caliber black revolver replaced the automatic pistol in Mr. Foster's hand. Edwards also moved Mr. Foster's head to the right side, causing blood to flow out of the mouth onto his right side (and leaving a stain on the right cheek from its contact with the bloody right shoulder). This made it appear that the blood already on the right side, which had in fact drained from the right side neck wound, had come from the mouth. He thus concealed the existence of the neck wound (inconsistent with suicide), and made it appear as if Mr. Foster may have been shot in the mouth (consistent with suicide). The official explanation for the contact blood stain on the right cheek is that it had appeared when an unknown fire-and-rescue worker checked the pulse."

Of those witnesses who saw Foster's body before 6:27 p.m., investigator Christine Hodakievic was the only one who saw it after Edwards had been alone with it. Her report addressed the activities in the parking lot, however, not the appearance of the body at the site. When she saw photographs of the body later, she said the appearance of the body had changed from when she saw it.

Park Police officers who were now arriving later reported that Foster's shirt had fresh wet blood on it as well as the older, dark dried blood the earlier witnesses had seen. No one recalled seeing bone fragments, brain matter or an exit wound. Investigator Rolla examined Foster's head and found only a "mushy spot" near the top of the skull at the back, which would be consistent with there being a fracture.

Sgt. Edwards disappeared as mysteriously as he arrived. He was observed taking Polaroids -- which he later reportedly denied. No one knows when he left, but it was some time around 6:50.

For all his involvement at the scene, there is no public record of his being interviewed by the FBI or Fiske investigators.

"There's something very strange there," Clarke observed.

Here are some other "very strange" happenings and OIC contradictions detailed in Knowlton's report:

The cars at the park: Foster's silver-gray 1989 Honda was allegedly found in the parking lot, though even that isn't certain.

Commented Clarke: "The Park Police describe the car that was found as silver. Almost everyone else -- including Patrick -- describes it as red, rust-brown, or brown. We make the point that it really doesn't matter when Vince Foster's car arrived, if it ever arrived. One theory is it never arrived -- that they brought it in at night and photographed it there at night. But I don't know that for sure.

"The point is it wasn't there at 4:30 when Patrick was there and Foster was presumably dead."

Foster's missing keys: Investigator John Rolla checked Foster's pockets at the site and found no car keys, though Foster carried two rings of keys. Later that evening -- following a visit to the morgue by William Kennedy and Craig Livingstone -- Rolla checked Foster's pockets again and discovered both key rings.

"We don't know that Livingstone or Kennedy put the keys in his pocket," said Clarke. "We know -- and documented -- that those two men were there at the morgue before Rolla arrived, something the OIC tried to conceal."

The guns at the park: Only two of the witnesses who saw the gun before Edwards was there remembered what type of gun it was. Said Clarke, "One of them, (paramedic George) Gonzalez called it a revolver, and (paramedic Richard) Arthur is 100 percent sure it was a semi-automatic and even drew a picture of it while under oath. He was adamant about it.

"So it looks like what Arthur saw was a semi-automatic, which is what the Park Police carry," Clarke observed.

Lack of fingerprints: Foster's fingerprints were on neither the official gun nor its ammunition. The FBI lab explained that problem away, saying latent prints could be "destroyed" by the summer heat; however, one print was found on the pistol grip. Tests showed it did not match Foster's or the prints of any of the investigators handling the gun. "To this day, that print still has not been compared to those on file in the FBI database," the Report charges.

The Autopsy: "The Starr Report hides the fact that the autopsy began before the police arrived, in violation of the requirements of the Medical Examiner's Office," observes the Knowlton Report; moreover, the autopsy was begun a day ahead of schedule and without the two investigating officers being in attendance.

Originally scheduled for Thursday, July 22, Fairfax County Medical Examiner Dr. James Beyer, with only an assistant whose name he refused to divulge, began the autopsy some time before 10 a.m., Wednesday. By the time investigators did arrive, Beyer had destroyed considerable evidence about the alleged gunshot in the mouth.

"Prior to our arrival the victim's tongue had been removed as well as parts of the soft tissue from the pallet," Officer James Morrissette reported. The OIC carefully omitted Morrisette's sentence from its report, saying six people attended the autopsy, but neglecting to mention they weren't all present when Beyer began his work.

Missing X-rays: There are "conflicting reports" explaining the lack of x-ray evidence: x-rays were taken and readable (but lost); x-rays were taken but unreadable; the x-ray machine was broken; and that it worked "sometimes, but not for Mr. Foster's autopsy." Testifying before a Senate committee in 1994, Dr. Beyer said, "the machine wasn't working -- and I saw no need to take an x-ray."

It's now "up to the American people," said Clarke.

"We've shown a crime was committed. Congress has failed in its responsibilities and is not going to look at this until enough people know what happened and start demanding answers. The news media have failed -- they won't look at it because they have so much to lose. And the Office of Independent Counsel has failed. If word doesn't get out, it means that the Office of Independent Counsel is infected with the kind of corruption it is designed to expose and prosecute.

"Now that it's been unsealed the Report will be on the Internet and in bookstores. But until we get our website finished Accuracy In Media will be taking orders for it.

"So we're asking the American people to look at this (report), link to it, print it out -- even sell it -- we don't care," said Clarke. "But it's up to them to spread the word and get the truth out."

Clarke said he's challenging Americans not to believe him and his friends -- not personally, that is.

"One of the reasons why this document is so long is we didn't want to leave it for anybody to read it to believe us," he said. "We're saying don't believe us. We don't want you to believe us -- just read the evidence."

Clarke is confident that "No really open-minded reader can walk away having read this document and think there is no cover-up."

Knowlton's 511-page filing, unsealed yesterday, will soon be available on the Internet at and can be ordered now from Accuracy In Media by calling 800-787-4567, ext. 100, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., EDT.

Carl Limbacher
Secret Foster Case Witness Speaks Out
Mon Jul 16 19:38:44 2001

Monday, July 16, 2001 1:02 p.m. EDT

Secret Foster Case Witness Speaks Out After 7-Year Silence

It's been seven years since the man who
discovered Vincent Foster's lifeless body in
a Virginia Park was interviewed by Whitewater

His explosive testimony was deemed "credible"
by Special Counsel Robert Fiske, who sent FBI
agents to his home for four separate

His bombshell account has never been refuted
by investigators working for Fiske's
successor, independent counsel Kenneth Starr,
the Senate Banking Committee, GOP Foster case
prober the late Rep. Steven Schiff, or any
other government entity charged with
investigating Foster's death.

And if what this key witness says is true -
that Vincent Foster had no gun in either hand
before U.S. Park Police and the Fairfax
County Fire and Rescue Squad found his body
eight years ago this week - then the official
conclusion that Foster shot himself in Fort
Marcy Park was startlingly and unequivocally

To this day the man who discovered the
Clinton deputy White House counsel in Fort
Marcy still fears for his safety, guarding
his true identity with the initials CW, the
acronym for the name given to him by Fiske's
Foster case probers: Confidential Witness.

Saturday night, for the first time since he
went public briefly in 1994, CW spoke out -
in an exclusive two-hour interview with WABC
Radio's John Batchelor and Paul Alexander.
Also on hand was's Carl

Some highlights:

ALEXANDER: Can you describe what you first

CW: The very first thing I saw was something
white through the trees. Investigating, I saw
that it was a body. So, very, very carefully,
making sure that I didn't disturb anything, I
went over to see what it could be. You know,
I didn't have a clue who it was - I
approached the body straight from his head.
He was feet down on a 45-degree angle down
the embankment.

ALEXANDER: Was he face up? Was he face down?

CW: Face straight up. Hands on each side of
his body straight away. Just like he was -
just laid down.

ALEXANDER: Could you tell immediately that he
was dead?

CW: Oh, yes. There was black dried blood on
his lips and his nose. Just white glazed

ALEXANDER: Were the eyes open?

CW: His eyes were maybe one third of the way

ALEXANDER: So you're standing there, you see
this body. What do you think at this point?

CW: Well, the first thing I thought was that
somebody knocked him in the head because I
couldn't see any sign of any blood on his
shirt and trousers. Just the blood around his
mouth and his nose.

ALEXANDER: So you thought he had been hit by

CW: I thought somebody hit him in the head.

ALEXANDER: And killed him by hitting him in
the head?

CW: That's what I thought when I first saw
it. ... I looked to see if he had something
in his hands that he could defend himself
with - maybe a rock or something like that.

ALEXANDER: And did you find anything?

CW: No. And that's why I was so adamant and
so sure [that Foster had no gun]. Because I
clearly looked at both hands. And they were
straight down by his sides, fully extended,
straight as can be, and both hands were palm

ALEXANDER: Both hands were palm up?

CW: There was zero doubt. None. Both hands
were palm up. [Note: in the single Foster
death scene photo released by investigators,
Foster's hand is turned on its side, palm
facing toward the ground, with a gun clearly

ALEXANDER: When you first saw the body, did
you see any gun anywhere?

CW: None ...

CW: Several things led me to believe he had
been placed there.

ALEXANDER: What was that? What made you
believe that he had been placed there?

CW: The embankment is very, very steep. [Fort
Marcy Park] is a Civil War fort - very
densely overgrown. ... The leaves were at
least four to six inches deep in that area
where he was lying. But the leaves from just
about his waist down to the bottom of the
45-degree slope, for an area that was
approximately four to five feet wide, below
his body and up to just about his waist, had
all been tramped down. It was as if somebody
had walked back and forth at least a dozen
times. ...

BATCHELOR: CW, I want to take you to the body
again. Let's look down at the body. You're
looking down at it now. You're within a foot,
two feet of the body, looking from the head
to the feet?

CW: My foot is about two feet from the top of
his head. ... I'm leaning over and looking
directly down into his face. My face is
approximately three, three and a half feet
from his face.

BATCHELOR: And the body could not be seen
from the other side of the berm?

CW: No. Unless you went over the side of the
berm you would never see it.

BATCHELOR: You said he had a white shirt on.

CW: A very expensive white shirt and a very
expensive pair of pants and also a very
expensive pair of shoes.

BATCHELOR: Now go back to the shirt. The
shirt was buttoned all the way to the top?

CW: Yes, sir.

BATCHELOR: And there was a tie?

CW: No tie. ... It seemed to me that the body
was swelling.

ALEXANDER: Let me ask you, CW, did you see
any blood in the neck area?

CW: None.

ALEXANDER: Did you see any blood in the chest

CW: None.

ALEXANDER: Did you see any blood on the
throat area?

CW: None. ...

ALEXANDER: When you were at the body, at any
time did you touch or move the body?

CW: Not at all. And I was very, very careful
- looking to see if there was any footprints.
The ground was just dry. There were no
footprints anywhere. It had not rained for 30
days. ...

ALEXANDER: Did you see any markings around
the body that would have suggested foul play,
like blood splattered on the ground or on a
bush or on a tree?

CW: None.

ALEXANDER: Did you see a pool of blood?

CW: Not a bit.

ALEXANDER: No pool of blood anywhere?

CW: None. There was no blood on the side of
his face. There was no blood on his neck.
There was no blood running down either side
of his face, 'cause I leaned to both sides
and looked to see if he'd been struck in the
face. Because blood being around his nose and
mouth, that was my first thought.

When I first saw him, before I could get a
good look at his body up close, I almost
walked away thinking somebody had laid down
and was taking a nap. ...

NEWSMAX: You said during a break that Robert
Fiske sent FBI agents to interview you four
times. Can you walk us through those
interviews and tell us what happened?

CW: After a lengthy debate they agreed to
keep me confidential and I agreed to let them
interview me. They came to my home. That was
agent [William] Columbell and [Lawrence]
Monroe. The first night was probably two
hours. They asked me, I would say in the
neighborhood of at least five or six times,
"Are you sure there was no gun in his hand?"

And, of course, every time I told them
exactly what I saw. There was no gun, this
man's palms were both palm up, laid neatly at
his sides with his arms extended full-length.

I didn't like that, that they would
repeatedly ask me that. So, when they
scheduled another meeting, I wanted someone
there to confirm what was going on. So I had
a very good friend of mine be here. ... She
was here for the next three interviews and
she can verify that they repeatedly asked me
about this handgun thing and I kept telling
them the same thing over and over.

NEWSMAX: According to [New York Times
columnist] William Safire's report, they
asked you this question 25 times?

CW: Well, somebody's exaggerating - but not a
lot. ...

CW: When agent Columbell personally delivered
the Fiske Report to me, he told me, "You're
not going to like what you read in this
report. But if I were you, I would just leave
it alone, let it go, don't go anymore." He
kept insisting like that. He knew I was going
to be mad when I read what they did to my

The very last night that the FBI was here for
their last interview, Agent Monroe held his
hand out, palm up. And he says for the
umpteenth time, "Now you're sure that there
was no gun in his hand?" And he took his
index finger and thumb as though it were a
pistol trigger guard and circled the thumb of
his right hand. And he held his right hand
out palm up and he circled the thumb with his
index finger and thumb of his left hand.

And he says, "Now, all you would have seen
would have been the trigger guard beause the
gun had flipped over and was under his hand.
Is there any possibility you would have
missed seeing that gun?"

And I said, "Listen, the whole bank is
covered with years of leaves. If all that
could have possibly been seen would have been
the trigger guard around his thumb, there
might have been a tip of a leaf that could
have concealed [the gun] from view. And I
will concede to you that the gun could have
been under his hand. But I can tell you this,
that his palms were up - both hands."

NEWSMAX: And the picture [of Foster's hand
holding a gun] they eventually released does
not show what they described to you in any
way, shape or form?

ALEXANDER: No, those pictures don't comport
with what he was told at all.

CW: No, not in any way.

(Note: In the Fiske Report, CW's adamant "no
gun" account is summarized thusly: "He did
not see a gun in the man's hands but said it
was difficult to see his hands because of the
dense foliage in the area where the body was
lying. CW acknowledges that, because of his
position at the top of the berm and the heavy
foliage, there could have been a gun in that
man's hand that he did not see.")

For the definitive account of Foster's death
and subsequent investigations into the case,
read Christopher Ruddy's "The Strange Death
of Vincent Foster," now available at's bookstore.
Saturday, July 14, 2001 9:49 a.m. EDT
Vincent Foster Anniversary Special


The man who knew too much? The truth about the death of Hillary Clinton's close friend Vince Foster

New motion in Foster case

Vince Foster Reports for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: by Christopher Ruddy

Allegations Regarding Vince Foster, the NSA,
and Banking Transactions Spying

Allegations Regarding Vince Foster, the NSA, and Banking Transactions Spying

WND=Vince Foster's death: An FBI cover-up?

599,000 documents found -
0.20 seconds search time

FBI Informant Alleges FBI Murder Plot

The Clinton's Body Count


The following is a partial list of deaths of person connected to
President Clinton during his tenure as Governor of Arkansas and/or
while President of the united States. Read the list and judge for yourself.

Judge Orders Search for Vince Foster's Computer
            Hard Drive


Subscribe to apfn-1
chooser.gif (706373 bytes)
Powered by

American Patriot Friends Network [APFN]
"...a network of net workers..."

Without Justice, there is JUST_US! 

APFN Message Board

APFN Sitemap

APFN Contents Page

APFN Home Page


Hit Counter

Last updated on 04/24/2010 09:24 PM